Thursday, April 19, 2012

Yellow: Making it Work

Eileen Kathryn Boyd Interiors
I've had many clients over the years who want to use yellow in their homes but don’t know where to begin. I'm sure many of you can relate. This is where I step in  - I can transform an inspiration or idea into a bold statement in an actual space. Yellow need not be an editorial color alone. It CAN work in YOUR home if you follow these tips!

*** Hi Yellow, Nice to Meet You …

Take it slow with this bright hue. Start to get to know yellow through your accessories. Introduce it into your home through pillows, artwork and floral arrangements (there’s nothing like a large arrangement of yellow tulips in a predominately white room). One bright yellow pillow can add a shock of color to a space allowing you to not only step back and watch how it interacts with its environment, but to be entertained by the effect it has on your room.

Eileen Kathryn Boyd Interiors

Eileen Kathryn Boyd Interiors

 You can also paint an accent wall (like in the kitchen) rather than a whole room or try adding grosgrain ribbon  to your drapery. 

Eileen Kathryn Boyd Interiors

*** Make a Splash … 

Use yellow to brighten up a neutral environment like your summer space. People often lean on blue and white for their vacation homes, but I suggest turning to shades of yellow instead. It’s a sunny, happy color!


-       *** Mix and Match ...

         Don't be afraid to work other brights into your color palette. Yellow looks great with blues, fuchsias and grays.


Remember, use yellow in spaces you need to feel inspired.

Check out some of my favorite yellow EKB Fabrics from Duralee. 


Yellow wakes me up in the morning. Yellow gets me on the bike every day. Yellow has taught me the true meaning of sacrifice. Yellow makes me suffer. Yellow is the true reason I am here. 
- Lance Armstrong


No comments: