Monday, August 13, 2012

Fashionably Inspired: Prada and Schiaparelli

I can't say enough how important a role fashion plays into my daily life as designer, artist and mom. My favorite designers constantly serve as inspiration and feed my creativity which is why I was so excited to visit The Met's new exhibit -  


The exhibition features imagined conversations between these two iconic designers and explores the similarities between their work despite the fact that Schiaperelli designed in Paris from the '20s through the '50s during the Surrealist movement and Prada, associated with Postmodernism, was just beginning in 1978.
What does this all have to do with interior design? It is my desire to create modern and "present" interiors which have historical references. Like Prada and Schiaparelli I'm always inspired by what came before. Besides, I love beautiful things as I hope you do. Here ares some of my favorite images from the exhibit!

Elsa Schiaparelli & Miuccia Prada

George Hoyningen-Huené (Russian, 1900–1968)
Portrait of Elsa Schiaparelli, 1932
Courtesy of Hoyningen-Huené/Vogue
© Condé Nast

Guido Harari (Italian, born Cairo, 1952)
Portrait of Miuccia Prada, 1999
Courtesy of Guido Harari/Contrasto/Redux

I love this geometric coat paired with an organic print.











 Iconic shoes from Prada ...
 
Appliques like these offer a three dimensional layering of materials and an artistic expression. 






Clever recycling can make the ordinary become extraordinary.















Ombre color wash has a watercolor feel. 


The trompe l’oeil pleats on this dress predate the digital printing trend of today.






















Wallis Simpson in Elsa Schiaparelli - chic and timeless.

 




















Metallic braid trim – a classic detail ...

 





















6 comments:

Karena said...

Eileen love these images. I agree; fashion, art, interior design they all play key roles in the substance, color palettes and creativity of the other.

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena
2012 Artists Series featuring Harrison Howard

Margaux said...

I really like that sentence: "Clever recycling can make the ordinary become extraordinary."
And I totally agree with you!
I really loved this exhibit.
xo

Margaux

Margaux said...

I really like that sentence: "Clever recycling can make the ordinary become extraordinary."
And I totally agree with you!
I really loved this exhibit.
xo

Margaux

Unknown said...

xcx

Clipping Path said...

I am absolutely loving your gorgeous blog! Thanks

David Millar said...

I think this is one of the most vital information for me. And I am glad studying your article. But want to remark on few general issues, The web site style is great, the articles are truly excellent. Thank you so much
Footwear photo editing services
Background Removal Service
clipping path service