Thursday, April 5, 2012

Nuts for NEON

Nanette Lepore, New York Magazine
It’s no secret that I often look to fashion for inspiration - I love the challenge of transforming a runway look into an inspired interior. This season I’ve been dying to incorporate the latest trend in style - NEON into my design repertoire.

I decided to create a chic pool house! Like I’m sure you do, I’ve got summer on my mind and can’t seem to kick the idea of creating a glamorous oasis in my own backyard (you’ll remember I designed the pool house at the 2011 Hamptons Decorator Show House).
I hope this slightly fantastical space makes you feel rejuvenated and inspired.

My Mood Board

Far sofa upholstered in Duralee Designer Eileen Kathryn Boyd Textiles: Pulse

Here are a  few takeaways for you design lovers ...

Mix Tones and Textures:  In this space, I made raffia and grass cloth work with bold, shiny, neon hues.

Find Inspiration in Unexpected Places: The show-stopper here is the design on the far wall of my pool house created by layering neon orange, pink and yellow duct tape in a zig- zag pattern. Look for design elements at your local hardware and craft stores. 

Give Something Old a New Face: Take your tables and chairs to your local auto body shop and have them powder coated or spray painted with a bright new color for a fresh and fabulous look.

Check out my facebook page for photos of the event!

It's the simple things in life that are the most extraordinary. 
Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist


No comments: